History and Names of 6th Regiment

The Sixth Regiment U.S.C.T. – A History


Medal of Honor Winners

Alexander Kelly Alexander Kelly
First Sergeant, Co. F, 6th U.S. Colored Troop. Born in Saltsburg, Pennsylvania on April 7, 1840 Alexander Kelly entered service in Allegheny City, PA on April 7, 1863.He saw action on Chaffin’s Farm (Fort Harrison), VA on September 29, 1864. His citation read that Kelly “gallantly seized the colors, which had fallen near the enemy’s lines of abatis, raised them and rallied the men at a time of confusion and in a place of the greatest danger.His Medal of Honor was presented on April 6, 1865. He was a 23-year-old coal miner who stood 5 feet 3 and one-half inches in height. On September 3rd, 1863, he was appointed First Sergeant of his unit, at that time stationed at Camp William Penn, Chilton Hills, PA. Kelly was mustered out of the U.S. Army at Wilmington, NC, on September 20, 1865.
Thomas Hawkins Thomas R. Hawkins
(1840 – 1870) was a Union Army soldier during the American Civil War and a recipient of America’s highest military decoration – Medal of Honor – for his actions at the Battle of Chaffin’s Farm.Hawkins joined the Army from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and by September 29, 1864 was serving as a Sergeant Major in the 6th U.S. Colored Infantry Regiment when the Battle of Chaffin’s Farm, Virginia, began. More than five years later, on February 8, 1870, he was awarded the Medal of Honor for “rescue of regimental colors” during that battle.Thomas Hawkins died at age 29 or 30, and a plaque in his memory was placed in Harmony Memorial Park, Landover, Maryland.

The greater portion of the enlisted men composing this regiment, were from various sections of the State of Pennsylvania, and were organized at Camp William Penn, near Philadelphia, between the 26th of July, and the 12th of September, 1863. The following were the field officers:

  • John W. Ames, Colonel
  • Clark E. Royce, Lieutenant Colonel
  • Joseph B. Kiddoo, Major

Colonel Ames had served as Captain in the Eleventh Regular Infantry, Lieutenant Colonel Royce, as Captain in the Ellsworth (New York) Regiment, and Major Kiddoo in the Sixty-third and One Hundred and Thirty-seventh Pennsylvania regiments. Of the line officers, Captain Robert B. Beath had served in the Eighty-eighth, Captain John M’Murray, in the One Hundred and Thirty-fifth, Lieutenant William A. Glass, in the Ninth Reserve, Lieutenant Frederick Meyer, in the One Hundred and Twelfth, and Lieutenant Frank Osborne, of Philadelphia, had lost an arm on the Peninsula.

On the 14th of October, the regiment left Philadelphia, to join the Army of the James, and upon its arrival at Fortress Monroe, was sent by General Butler, then in command, to Yorktown, where it went into camp, and during the succeeding winter, performed severe fatigue duty upon the fortifications. Troops were frequently sent out upon raids through the adjoining counties, and up the Peninsula, in which this regiment participated.

Early in February, 1864, it having been ascertained that Richmond was feebly defended, a plan was formed for surprising the garrison at Belle Isle, where large numbers of Union prisoners were confined, and of releasing them by a sudden and speedy movement from General Butler’s lines. The Sixth formed part of the force detailed for this enterprise, and executed the orders for its movement with great promptness and celerity; but on the night before starting, a soldier under sentence of death, escaped to the rebel lines, and gave information concerning the contemplated movement, enabling the enemy to make ample preparations for its defeat. The regiment marched forty-two miles in twenty-four hours, a severe test of its endurance, penetrating to Bottom’s Bridge, twelve miles from Richmond. But finding the ways obstructed by felled timber, and the enemy fully prepared to defeat the purpose of the expedition, the troops returned again to quarters.

Capture of City Point
On the 5th of May, General Butler sent a force, of which the Sixth formed part, to operate on the James River. It moved by transport, and started as if to ascend the York and Pamunky rivers, but returned at night, and passing up the James, landed at City Point, from which the enemy had been previously driven by a company of sharp-shooters, selected from the several colored regiments, under command of Captain Philip Weinman, of the Sixth. After remaining a few days at this place, the regiment was stationed at Spring Hill, on the Appomattox, five miles from Petersburg. Here, in conjunction with the Fourth Colored, it built a strong earth-work, afterwards known as Redoubt Converse, intended for the protection of the pontoon bridge at that point. The Fourth was shortly afterwards withdrawn, leaving the Sixth as the nearest outpost to Petersburg. On the 20th, the enemy attacked the picket lines in strong force, with the design of capturing the works; but the regiment successfully maintained its position until reinforcements arrived, when the enemy withdrew.

In Front of Petersburg
On the 15th of June, the Sixth, together with the Fourth, Fifth, and Twenty-second Colored, attacked the left of the rebel earth-works in front of Petersburg, and by a determined charge carried the position, resting at midnight within the enemy’s strong fortifications. Early on the morning of the 16th, the colored soldiers of the Army of the James, hailed for the first time, the battleflags of the Army of the Potomac, a division under General Birney, marching in to their relief. The capture of these strong works by the colored troops, was well calculated to inspire respect among the veterans, now rapidly arriving from the Wilderness campaign, for none knew better than they how to appreciate valor.

Until near the close of August, the Sixth was kept almost constantly on duty in the trenches in front of Petersburg. It was then transferred to Dutch Gap, on the James, and assigned to fatigue duty upon the canal, which had just then been commenced. The labor here was harassing and fatiguing in the extreme, the men being compelled to work day after day under the steady fire of the rebel mortars. In addition to exhausting toil, and the effect of bursting shells, they were exposed to the noxious vapors of the river, and from these causes combined, the ranks of the regiments were rapidly depleted.

New Market
On the 29th of September, General Ord, in command of the Eighteenth Corps, attacked and carried a long line of entrenchments below Chapin’s Farm. At the same time, General Birney advanced from Deep Bottom, driving the enemy on the New Market Road, back to the heights. In this movement, the Fourth and Sixth Colored had the advance, and gallantly pushed the enemy, until he had arrived at his entrenchments forming the outer defenses of Richmond. Here a halt was ordered, and preparations were made for an assault. The enemy was strongly posted and was in heavy force; but at the signal to advance, the Sixth went gallantly forward in the face of a withering fire which thinned its ranks at every step. In its course, it was obliged to cross a small stream, and then an open field; but without wavering, it pressed on until more than half its numbers had fallen, and nearly all its officers were lost; when, seeing the fruitlessness of further pushing the charge with so weak a force, the signal was given to retire.

The regiment entered the battle with three hundred and sixty-seven, rank and file. Of this number, three officers and thirty nine men were killed, eleven officers and one hundred and fifty men wounded, and seven missing, an aggregate of two hundred and ten, more than sixty-two per cent. of its strength. Captains George W. Sheldon and Charles V. York, and Lieutenant Frederick Meyer, were killed; and Lieutenants Eber C. Pratt, Lafayette Landon, and John M’Avoy, were mortally wounded. Major H. J. Covell, Captain Robert B. Beath, and Lieutenants N. N. Hubbard, N. H. Edgerton, and J. W. Johnson, were severely, and Colonel Ames, Lieutenant Colonel Royce, and Lieutenant Enoch Jackman, slightly wounded.

The Battle of Chaffin’s Farm and New Market Heights, VA

Also Knows as Combats at New Market Heights, Forts Harrison,
Johnson, and Gilmer; Laurel Hill
September 29-30, 1864
CWSAC Classification – B

The Medal of Honor – Civil War

The Medal of Honor is the nation’s highest medal for valor in combat that can be awarded to members of the armed forces.

The medal was first authorized in 1861 for Sailors and Marines, and the following year for Soldiers as well. Since then, more than 3,400 Medals of Honor have been awarded to members of all DoD services and the Coast Guard.

Medals of Honor are awarded sparingly and are bestowed only to the bravest of the brave; and that courage must be well documented.

The original design of the army Medal of Honor shows the goddess Minerva fending off a symbol of discord. The thirty-four stars surrounding the figures represent the number of states in the Union.

During the Civil War 1,196 soldiers were awarded the MOH. One solder, Tom Custer received two MOHs for bravery at two separate incidents. By the end of the war, African-Americans accounted for 10% of the Union Army.  180,000 men — many former slaves — volunteered, a staggering 85% of the eligible population.  Nearly 40,000 gave their lives for the cause. 

At the Battle of Chaffin’s Farm and New Market Heights 14 of the United State Colored Troops (USCT) performed acts of bravery that won them the Medal of Honor. Throughout the entire course of the American Civil War, only sixteen black soldiers were awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. Of that number, fourteen were awarded to the black troops who stormed New Market Heights. That battle took place over the last days of September, 1864 and pitted the army-sized forces of Union Major General Benjamin Butler against the Confederate forces led by General Robert E. Lee and Lieutenant General Richard S. Ewell.

Early in the morning of September 29, 1864, two Union corps under the command of General Benjamin Butler crossed the James River with the goal of overwhelming Robert E. Lee’s army and capturing Richmond. The Confederate defenders were vastly outnumbered and many were inexperienced and initially without trusted leadership. Fort Harrison and the other works at Chaffin’s Farm held the key to the Confederate defenses. The drama that ensued was a battle between the Confederates’ resiliency and the Union’s ability to capitalize on one of its greatest opportunities.

Battle of Chaffin’s Farm, Sept. 29th 1864 : topography of 1894 : roads, houses, trees, etc. of 1864 from Campbell and Chambliss maps : positions and routes assumed from descriptions in official records.

Following the Federal victories at Opequon Creek and Fisher’s Hill in late September 1864, Lieutenant General Ulysses S. Grant prepared an offensive to prevent Confederate General Robert E. Lee from reinforcing his troops in the Shenandoah Valley. Grant planned a two-pronged assault with Major General George Gordon Meade’s Army of the Potomac striking at the Southside Railroad near Petersburg while Major General Benjamin F. Butler’s Army of the James struck north of the James River to threaten the Confederate Capital. Butler called his subordinates together on September 28th and outlined the plan, part of which called for Major General David B. Birney’s X Corps to attack from the Deep Bottom Bridgehead and take New Market Heights.

Spearheading this attack would be Brigadier General Charles Paine’s Third Division of the XVIII Corps, a unit comprised entirely of United States Colored Troops. The Army of the James crossed over on the night of September 28-29, 1864, and was in position by 5:00 AM. Facing the Union troops were 2,000 veteran troops under the overall command of Brigadier General John Gregg. Lieutenant Colonel Frederick Bass’ Texas-Arkansas Brigade and dismounted cavalry under Brigadier General Martin Gary manned the earthworks while the Rockbridge Artillery and 3rd Richmond Howitzers provided artillery support. Paine displayed his inexperience as a commander when he designated only Colonel Samuel A. Duncan’s Third Brigade that included the 4th and 6th USCT, to take New Market Heights. Duncan’s men deployed in a skirmish line 200 yards long and soon encountered obstacles that hampered their movement.

 A marshy stream called Four Mile Creek ran across their line of advance and a slashing of abatis and chevaux-de-frise blocked access to the Confederate entrenchments. Duncan’s men advanced into the thick fog around 5:30 AM and, in the words of one survivor, were “all cut to pieces.” Intense musket and artillery fire shredded the ranks of the oncoming Union soldiers and soon Colonel Duncan was down with four wounds. The Third Brigade soon withdrew, losing 350 of its 700 men. Paine then sent in the Second Brigade composed of the 5th, 36th, and 38th USCT under the command of Colonel Alonzo Draper.

As the sun began to rise, Draper’s men went in over the same ground that Duncan’s men had crossed and they were soon entangled in the earthworks. for thirty brutal minutes. Like Duncan’s men before them, the brave black troopers hacked their way through the obstacles and struggled toward the earthworks. And like Duncan’s company sergeants before them, Draper’s sergeants took up the colors and rallied their men when their officers were killed or wounded. Draper’s men endured a barrage from the Confederate lines before the Confederates began to withdraw. When the fire slackened, the men of the USCT burst through the earthworks and advanced up the slopes of New Market Heights. In the process, Draper would lose 447 out of his 1,300 men. Overall, Paine lost 1 out of 3 men in the attack on New Market Heights. While Benjamin Butler did not capture Richmond that day, the fighting prowess of the African American soldiers under his command was put on display for all to see.

Draper’s is the only official after-action report filed by any Union officer in the Official Records. Submitted on October 6 while he recuperated from his wounds, it describes the second assault developing much like the first one: “After passing about 300 yards through young pines, always under fire, we emerged upon the open plain about 800 yards from the enemy’s works….Within twenty or thirty yards of the rebel line we found a swamp which broke the charge….Our men were falling by the scores. All the officers were striving constantly to get the men forward.”

The efforts of the white officers and black noncoms yielded success. After withstanding withering fire for what Draper called “a half hour of terrible suspense,” the Confederate fire seemed to slacken. Draper’s men swept up the remnants of the 4th and 6th USCT, and the determined attackers surged forward into the Confederate positions.

Sergeants James H. Harris and Edward Ratcliff, Private William Barnes and 36th USCT Private James Gardiner were among the first to enter the Confederate trenches. Gardiner shot and bayoneted a Confederate officer trying to rally his men on the ramparts. Corporal Miles James of the 36th lost the use of his left arm, which was later amputated, but continued firing at the enemy with his right. Barnes and Harris each suffered multiple wounds but refused to leave the field.

While it does not detract from the heroism of Duncan’s and Draper’s regiments, New Market Heights was in fact virtually abandoned, defended only by a small rear guard, by the time the attacking Union forces spilled into the Confederate trench lines. Nonetheless, J.D. Pickens of the Texas Brigade acknowledged the fighting qualities of their attackers, writing, “I want to say in this connection that, in my opinion, no troops up to that time had fought us with move bravery than did those Negroes.”

Gregg had indeed ordered his men to redeploy and reinforce Confederate defenses along the Varnia Road between Forts Harrison and Gilmer, but instead of going directly to the aid of Fort Harrison, which eventually fell to Ord’s XVIII Corps, the Texas Brigade and the dismounted cavalry units took up positions along the Confederates’ intermediate line of defense.

If questions persist about how New Market Heights fell, there has never been any debate about the devastating losses suffered by its attackers. The actual fighting lasted only about 80 minutes, and when it was over around 8 a.m., Duncan’s brigade had suffered 68 killed, almost 300 wounded and 22 missing. Draper’s brigade sustained 63 dead, 366 wounded and 23 missing. And for some of the men of Draper’s brigade, the day’s slaughter was not yet over. For reasons never adequately explained, Paine ordered the battered remnants of the 5th USCT to withdraw from New Market Heights and move to support the attack on Fort Gilmer. The regiment suffered another 100 casualties in that ultimately unsuccessful action.

Butler’s report to Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton four days after the battle in part read: “My colored troops under General Paine…carried intrenchments (sp) at the point of a bayonet….It was most gallantly done, with most severe loss. Their praises are in the mouth of every officer in this army. Treated fairly and disciplined, they have fought most heroically.” Butler had his answer as to whether black men could fight.

Northern correspondents were also captivated by the role of the USCT, focusing on their bravery and, to Butler’s undoubted relief, generally ignoring the fact the attacks fell short of their goal of capturing Richmond. The New Market Heights dispatch of the New York Herald’s Thomas M. Look clearly shows how the fog of battle reveals only part of what really transpired on the killing ground: “Their charge in the face of the obstacles interposing was one of the grand features of the day’s operation….They never halted or faltered, though their ranks were sadly thinned by the charge, and the slashing was filled with the slain and wounded of their number.”

Veteran correspondent Henry Jacob Wisner of The New York Times echoed the sentiment of many observers when he wrote, “it was a wonderful, a sublime sight to see those black men stand up to the rack….” Thomas Morris Chester, a black reporter for the Philadelphia Press, filed an October 5 dispatch from ‘a mere 5 1/2 miles from Richmond.’ In it, he declared that Paine’s division “had covered itself with glory, and wiped out effectively the imputation against the fighting qualities of colored troops.” He amplified his conviction two weeks later: “One thing is certain, that the colored troops who compose this division…convinced the most skeptical that Negroes will not only fight, but do it desperately….”

Confederates saw things in a different light. The Richmond Examiner opined that “the country will be surprised that so much noise had been made and so little damage done.” On October 14, Columbia’s Daily South Carolinian carried a letter stating, “Birney’s whole corps came against the position held by General Gary’s brigade, and was so severely handled that, when the order came for us to fall back, it permitted our thin line, though at close quarters at the time, to retire in order and without injury.”

General Butler wanted more than mere words to herald the sacrifices made by his black soldiers. Only two avenues were open to him. One was promotion in rank, and the other was to award a medal authorized by Congress in 1862 for bravery on the battlefield, the Medal of Honor. Privates Barnes, Gardiner and Veal, along with Corporal James, were quickly promoted to sergeants. But there were no promotions for the 10 men who were already sergeants. The surviving white officers of the 4th USCT petitioned the War Department to authorize lieutenant’s bars for Sergeant Major Fleetwood, but their request was denied. Butler tried to promote Sergeant Milton M. Holland of the 5th USCT to captain, but the War Department refused to issue the commission.

With avenues of promotion shut down, that left the Medal of Honor. The award had not yet acquired the lofty status it holds today, and the criteria necessary for recognition were very different from modern standards. During the Civil War, 1,520 men and one woman received the Medal of Honor, but only 16 black soldiers and five black sailors earned the award.

Before the Medal of Honor could be awarded, recommendations from surviving regimental officers had to first go to division headquarters and then to Butler and a team of his subordinates. They sifted and winnowed the names and forwarded those remaining on the list to General Grant, where they were further reviewed and then sent to the War Department.

For months, after the battle no word came from Washington. Finally, on April 6, 1865, the War Department bestowed the Medal of Honor on 14 black veterans of New Market Heights. The recipients, except for Sergeant Alfred Hilton who died in a hospital on October 21, 1864, continued to serve with their regiments until the war ended. Sergeants Powhatan Beatty of the 5th USCT and Fleetwood and Alexander Kelly of the 6th USCT helped capture Fort Fisher in 1865. Sergeant Miles James of the 36th USCT asked to remain on active duty in spite of losing his arm, and was permitted to serve with the regimental provost guard. James marched with his company into Richmond on April 3, 1865, making him the only recipient of the Medal of Honor to reach the objective for which he and his comrades had sacrificed so much.

Sergeant Majors Milton M. Holland, of the 5th, and Sergeant Major Fleetwood witnessed the surrender of General Joseph E. Johnston at Durham Station, N.C., on April 26, 1865. Almost 35 years later to the day, on April 25, 1898, Fleetwood offered his services to raise and equip a volunteer company of black soldiers and officers to fight in Cuba. The government never responded to his offer. Fleetwood died on September 28, 1914. His daughter, Edith, presented Fleetwood’s Medal of Honor to the Smithsonian Institution in 1948.

Holland later founded the Alpha Insurance Company, one of nation’s first black-owned insurance firms, and is buried at Arlington National Cemetery. Sergeant James Harris of the 38th USCT, who died on January 28, 1898, would also receive the Medal of Honor and be buried in the hallowed ground of Arlington.

Sergeant Robert Pinn of the 5th returned to his home in Stark County, Ohio, and opened a contracting business. Later he attended Oberlin College, studied law and, after being admitted to the bar, served as a U.S. pension attorney. He was active in the Grand Army of the Republic until his death on January 1, 1911. The historical record for the remaining Medal of Honor men is sparse. But when Beatty, the first of the Medal of Honor recipients to enlist and the last to die, was buried on December 16, 1916, a unique chapter in the history of black Americans in the Civil War ended.

A list of the men who received the Medal of Honor for their actions during the Battle of New Market Heights, VA is shown:

Barnes, William H.Beaty, Powhatan *, Bronson, James H.Fleetwood, Christian A. *, Gardiner, James *, Harris, James H. *, Hawkins, Thomas R. *,  Hilton, Alfred B.Holland, Milton M. *, James, MilesKelly, Alexander *, Pinn, Robert A. *, Ratcliff, EdwardVeal, Charles.

NOTE: Those names followed by an asterisk, indicates that their picture may be found on line. (http://www.nps.gov/rich/historyculture/mohrecip.htm)

William F. Chambrés
Company of Military Historians

General Butler, in an order of October 11, says:
“Of the colored soldiers of the Third Division of the Tenth and Eighteenth corps, the general commanding desires to make special mention. In the charge on the enemy’s works by the Colored Division of the Eighteenth Corps, at Spring Hill and New Market, better men were never better led, better officers never led better men. With hardly an exception, officers of colored troops have justified the care with which they have been selected. A few more such charges, and to command colored troops will be the post of honor in the American armies. The colored soldiers, by coolness, steadiness, and determined courage and dash, have silenced every cavil of the doubters of their soldierly capacity, and drawn tokens of admiration from their enemies.”

Adjutant N. Ht. Edgerton was promoted to Captain, Sergeants Kelly and Elsberg, and Corporal Kelly were awarded medals for their gallantry, and the words “Petersburg,” and “New Market Heights” were ordered to be inscribed on the flag.

The regiment afterwards sailed with both commands sent out for the reduction of Fort Fisher. The latter, under General Terry, proved successful; but the colored troops were not engaged with the storming party, being sent some miles inland, to prevent reinforcements from reaching the enemy, performing this duty in a satisfactory manner.
On the 19th of January, 1865, the Sixth participated in a sharp encounter at Sugar Loaf Hill, North Carolina, where Captain Newton J. Hotchkiss was mortally wounded, dying two days after, and considerable loss in killed and wounded was sustained.

On the 11th of February, during a sharp contest on the skirmish line, Daniel K. Healy was severely wounded, and Lieutenant Edward Field, commanding company A, was killed. Upon the death of Lieutenant Field, the direction devolved on Sergeant Richard Carter, (colored,) who commanded with great skill and courage, until the company was relieved.

The regiment participated in all the movements of the division in North Carolina, until the final surrender of the rebel forces, when it was ordered to duty at Wilmington, and remained there until its muster out of service on the 20th of September.

Bates, Samuel P. History of the Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-1865 , Harrisburg, 1868-1871.

Organized at Camp William Penn, near Philadelphia, Pa.,
July 28 to September 12, 1863.
Moved from Philadelphia to Fort Monroe, Va., October 14; thence to Yorktown, Va.
Attached to United States Forces, Yorktown. Va.,
Dept. of Virginia and North Carolina, to January, 1864.
2nd Brigade, United States Forces, Yorktown, Va., 18th Corps,
Dept. of Virginia and North Carolina, to April, 1864.
2nd Brigade, Hincks’ Colored Division, 18th Corps, Army of the James, to June, 1864.
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 18th Corps, to August, 1864.
3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 18th Corps, to December, 1864.
2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 25th Corps, to December, 1864.
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 25th Corps, to March, 1865.
3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 10th Corps, Dept. of North Carolina, to August, 1865.
Dept. of North Carolina to September, 1865.

Duty at Yorktown till May, 1864.
Wild’s Expedition to South Mills and Camden Court House, N. C., December 5-24, 1863.
Wistar’s Expedition against Richmond February 2-6, 1864.
Expedition to New Kent Court House in aid of Kilpatrick’s Cavalry March 1-4.
New Kent Court House March 2.
Williamsburg March 4.
Expedition into King and Queen County March 9-12.
Expedition into Matthews County March 17-21.
Butler’s operations south of the James River and against Petersburg and Richmond May 4-June 15.
Capture of City Point May 4.
Fatigue duty at City Point and building Fort Converse on Appomattox River till June 15.
Attack on Fort Converse May 20.
Before Petersburg June 15-18.
Bailor’s Farm June 15.
Siege operations against Petersburg and Richmond June 15 to December 17.
In trenches before Petersburg and fatigue duty at Dutch Gap Canal till August 27.
Moved to Deep Bottom August 27.
Battle of Chaffin’s Farm, New Market Heights, September 29-30.
Fort Harrison September 29.
Battle of Fair Oaks October 27-28.
In trenches before Richmond till December.
1st Expedition to Fort Fisher, N. C., December 7-27.
2nd Expedition to Fort Fisher, N. C., January 7-15.
Bombardment of Fort Fisher January 13-15.
Assault and capture of Fort Fisher January 15.
Sugar Loaf Hill January 19.
Sugar Loaf Battery February 11.
Fort Anderson February 18-20.
Capture of Wilmington February 22.
Northeast Ferry February 22. Campaign of the Carolinas March 1-April 26.
Advance on Kinston and Goldsboro March 6-21.
Occupation of Goldsboro March 21.
Cox’s Bridge March 23-24.
Advance on Raleigh April 9-14.
Occupation of Raleigh April 14.
Bennett’s House April 26.
Surrender of Johnston and his army.
Duty in the Dept. of North Carolina till September.
Mustered out September 20, 1865.

Regiment lost during service:
8 Officers and 79 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and
5 Officers and 132 Enlisted men by disease.
Total 224.

Back to top